A garbage disposal should last several years with proper care and maintenance. However, like all appliances, it will eventually require repair and replacement. At T&S Plumbing, we are experts in garbage disposal repair and installation. If your garbage disposal is malfunctioning—or if it dies altogether—give us a call. We’re here to help!
Garbage Disposal Replacement
If your garbage disposal is on its last leg, consider having a higher-end model installed. With today’s technology, modern garbage disposals can digest just about anything. Visit InSinkErator’s website to get an idea of what’s out there.
Due to the inherent dangers of working on a system designed to pulverize organic materials, it’s best to leave garbage disposal repair to the professionals.
Proper garbage disposal maintenance will help prevent the need for repairs and keep your kitchen smelling fresh. Here are some tips for preventing clogs and odors:
- Always run cold water during the operation of your garbage disposal, as this will help cool the engine.
- Leave the garbage disposal on until all food scraps are fully consumed.
- After using the disposal, run hot water through it for a few minutes to ensure that all food residue is washed away.
- Once a week, put some dishwashing liquid into the garbage disposal and run hot water for a while after switching off the garbage disposal.
- For extra stubborn odors, try discarding some lemon peels into your garbage disposal. Run the unit, then wait 15 minutes before running hot water to flush the system.
- Put two cups of ice cubes and a cup of rock salt into the disposal and run the unit with cold water. This will help break up embedded sludge, allowing it to rinse away.