It’s summertime & that means relaxing vacations, so the last thing you want to come home to is a plumbing problem. Take these few simple steps before you leave that can help prevent everything from annoying stinky drains to disastrous whole house floods.
· Clean your traps, garbage disposal and drains Because you won’t have water rinsing your drains regularly, any clogs or leftover moisture in your drains and traps can cause unpleasant odors. Clearing the sink traps and cleaning drains and the garbage disposal will help minimize that.
- Drain and empty the dishwasher and washing machine Draining these appliances will help prevent mold, mildew, and unpleasant odors upon your return home, especially if you leave the doors open to air out.
- Turn off the water While you’re away on summer vacation, turn off the main water valve to avoid a potential accident. You likely won’t need the water while you’re away, so turning it off shouldn’t be an issue. Different homes have water valves in different places, so it’s important to know where yours is located!
- Adjust the water heater To keep your energy bill low while you’re on summer vacation, set your water heater to the lowest setting possible. You can also opt to completely shut it off to prevent the possibility of flooding. Schedule an appointment with a licensed, professional plumber and get your water heater tuned-up. If necessary, or recommended, ask him/her to drain your water heater. This will not only prevent potential leaks, but also wasted energy. Why pay to have the same tank of water heated over and over, when no one is home to use it?· Test the sump pump A sump pump is the best way to prevent basement flooding if your gutters fail. Test the sump pump by dumping water into the sump pit to raise the water level. If the sump pump ejects the water properly then your basement is safe. If it doesn’t eject water properly, see if it’s one of these common problems or schedule a professional maintenance check before you leave.
· Have a neighbor or family member check in on your house Especially if you’ll be away for an extended period of time. There’s peace of mind in knowing you can count on someone if there’s an emergency inside your home. Give your house sitter your emergency plumber’s number– T & S Plumbing Services has technicians available 24/7 to assist with plumbing issues.